Forums >> Suzerain >> Suzerain: Embracing Open Design (5 total posts)

Greetings Gamers! 

Palace of the Lich Queen is about to go into layout and so our next project is going to be bringing our core book, Suzerain, to the Pathfinder system. This is not going to be a simple adaptation, but rather a complete reboot that takes into account the strengths and peculiarities of Pathfinder. As our design team hammers out exactly how Suzerain will be expressed under those rules we will be bringing those ideas to you, our fans, for refinement and input. 

Yes, we are inspired by the grand open playtest that birthed Pathfinder several years ago. You are the people playing our games and we believe that as extended members of the Savage Mojo family you should have a say in shaping that play style. 

For example: Telesmae. 

• Should we remove them entirely? 
  • Should they become intelligent magic items using the standard rules? 
  • Should they become special bonded items like a wizards bonded wand or familiar?
  • Should we embrace the Mythic rules to develop them? 

These are the sort of things we are working on as 2014 draws to a close, and we want you to be a part of it! 

Keep you eyes peeled for posts here in the forums. Once we have some things knocked into order we will be sharing it and asking your thoughts! 

Loki Your fearless Community Manager, brave Pathfinder Line Developer and unbeatable Creole Cook! At your service!

I'm quite interested to see if there's any discussion on this point here. Having just worked on the Pathfinder version of Palace of the Lich Queen, I know that telesmae were tricky to get right, and different developers handled the assigned sections that featured these items, each with their own unique approach. Many of the options Loki is mentioning above (with the exception of a mythic mechanic) were tried during the making of Palace. So, let us know which ones you liked, and if they can be made cooler while still running more smoothly at the table!

(I'll also add that from a design perspective, intelligent items can be a pain to properly construct, even if they are really cool to use.)

Yeah, it's one reason we are assessing things to make sure that we create a version that truly works with Pathfinder in a native fashion rather than simply feeling bolted on. 

How we handle telesmae, or if we drop the idea in order to streamline, is one of the key points. I'd say the handling of the Spirit World is another. Is it the Ethereal? What new feats, archetypes, subsystems might we want for expressing it? Same with Pulse. 

Have to run, but there will be more later.

Loki Your fearless Community Manager, brave Pathfinder Line Developer and unbeatable Creole Cook! At your service!

Greetings gamers! 

I just wanted to let everybody know that we have just launched a new forum in order ot open up our design process a bit. Rather than just having a thread here we will create new threads over there in which we will be sharing ideas and developments as each new product takes shape. 

First on the docket is Suzerain itself. Development of the Pathfinder version is underway now and there should be things to share by mid January with luck. Matt Medeiros, who worked on Palace of the Lich Queen, is my lead on this one and has things off to a great start.

If you are interested in the design process, or just like the idea of being able to voice an opinion where it might influence the evolution of our works, stop by the new Design Forum

<<    <   1    >    >> Display # of Results/page
Google+